We offer three rotating internships yearly. The internships start the first week of July and finish the following year at the end of June. The interns rotate between surgery and ambulatory services. In the hospital, the interns will see greater than 1200 elective surgical cases. Approximately 80% of these cases are orthopedic (arthroscopy, fracture fixation) with the other 20% being soft tissue (upper airway, urogenital). On our ambulatory service interns will have significant exposure to lameness (especially in training horses), sales work, reproduction, and general farm healthcare.
Our goal is to provide interns with a solid foundation to support their future careers. Whether their goal is a residency or private practice, we feel that our practice provides ample opportunity and exposure to develop the skills necessary to be successful in either endeavor.
We recommend intern candidates complete an externship at our practice prior to applying, however, it is not required.
Prerequisites: The applicant must either have a Florida license or be eligible to apply for a Florida license prior to the beginning date of the internship. Applicant must also have the ability to sit for Florida Laws and Rules Exam.
Application submission: A CV, letter of intent and three professional letters of reference must be submitted. Applications may be mailed to: Ocala Equine Hospital, Cyndi Ray, 10855 NW US Hwy 27, Ocala, FL 34482 or emailed (preferred) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline: November 1 of current year
Notification of Acceptance: Notification will be before intern match withdrawal date.
For more information regarding our internship, please contact Cyndi Ray at email@example.com.
We routinely have externs visit our hospital throughout the year. Our only requirements are that the extern be a veterinary student and come with a willingness to learn and work. Externs can spend time in the hospital or on ambulatory or a combination of both. Generally, this schedule is worked out once they arrive depending on the extern’s interest and our needs. Additionally, if you are interested in applying for an internship after graduation from veterinary school, an externship is very helpful in that process.
As we try to have no more than two externs at a time, we prefer that externships be for a one– or two-week period, though we recognize that some schools require three-week externships and will accommodate those if required.
We also require that you have professional liability insurance coverage for your time with us. Some colleges supply their students with that coverage. If that is the case, I will need you to supply me with a copy of the school’s insurance showing that you are covered for the period that you will be here. If your school doesn’t supply the PLIT, I will need you to apply for the AVMA professional liability insurance coverage. If you have your SAVMA membership, you can go to the website listed below to download the application. There is no cost for the coverage but you must be a SAVMA member. If you don’t have your SAVMA membership, you will have to sign up with the AVMA. You can reach them at 800-248-2862. You can then follow the above instructions. Please forward the email from the AVMA-PLIT to me that shows you are covered.
AVMA PLIT website: www.avmaplit.com On the website page, lower left hand side, click on “Student liability”
Housing for externs will be provided on a limited basis.
If you are interested in visiting our hospital for an externship please contact our office or e-mail Cyndi Ray at firstname.lastname@example.org.